Friday, February 22, 2008

Lenten Devotional - February 22

Morning by Morning
Exodus 16: 19 - 21

Anthony B. Robinson

"Morning by morning they gathered it, as much as each needed; but when the sun grew hot, it melted." In the wilderness the Hebrews cried out for food, and the Lord provided, but with a hitch. The manna would come fresh every morning and could not be saved up. While dependence can become a problem in human relationships, and independence and self-reliance are often good things, there is special grace in dependence, in dependence on the Lord. Working as a speaker and teacher in all sorts of contexts and situations, I do prepare, but I also am learning to trust in the strange and wonderful ways that God provides the right word, the timely theme, the appropriate story or illustration.

Moreover, the true word cannot be saved up. When I try to save it up, or to save myself up, I lose what I have. When I give all that I have and am, there is more given to me.

Prayer: Grant me grace this day, O Lord, to receive what you want to give me and to use it all up, to give it all out, knowing that tomorrow you will provide all that I need. Amen.

No comments: