Saturday, February 23, 2008

2/23

Even a Monkey Gets Tired
John 4:1-6



Ron Buford



My dad, James Buford, was fond of telling African fables in which all the animals of the jungle are gathered, much like Aesop's fables. The monkey, often called the "signifying monkey," would receive the brunt of jokes and insults; he would also usually deliver the punch line or lesson.



Dad told these stories so often that after a while, he could simply deliver the punch line and we would know its relevance to any given situation. One such punch line was, "Even a monkey gets tired."



Dad would use this with me when he thought I was working too hard, though he himself was a hard worker. He would lovingly look at me, even after I was an adult, smile, and gently say, "Boy, even a monkey gets tired." We would laugh together at this reminder to slow down or even stop.



Our text tells us that even Jesus, our master teacher, the one who would pour out his life for you and me, took time to rest.



Lent is a good time to be intentional about taking something out of our schedules to rest and meditate on God, love, life and to pray. The things we give up during Lent are not meant to be punishments, but commas that gives us time for a refreshing cool drink at God's spring because... "even a monkey gets tired."





Prayer: Gracious God, help me to be mindful of God’s gifts during life’s comma times, whether such times come by my choosing or are beyond my control. Amen.

No comments: