Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why Starbucks Should Have an Age Limit

Ok...so this is copied from Marcy's blog...but it's too hysterical not to share here...below is a conversation between Marcy and her parents about ordering from Starbucks!!

Marcy: (Phone rings) Hi Mom...what's up?
Mom: I'm going to Starbucks. What should I get?
Marcy: What are you in the mood for?
Mom: Well, there are those two things I like there. One of those.
Marcy: Which two things?
Mom: Oh come on, you know.
Marcy: Um, no. I don't.
Mom: Yes you do - that carmelly shake thing and that white chocolate coffe thing.
Marcy: Hot or cold?
Mom: Cold, of course. How could it be like a shake and be hot?
Marcy: No, the second one. The white chocolate lattee. Did you want that hot or cold.
Mom: Hot, of course. Who gets those drinks cold?
Marcy: Um.....me.
Mom: Oh, well then, hot for me.
Marcy: So which one did you want?
Mom: I told you I don't remember the names.
Marcy: No - I mean of the two - which one.

Mom: Well, since it's freezing cold here, obviously the hot one.
Marcy: Sigh. Okay then you want the venti white…
Mom: Hold on. You know I cannot remember this stuff. I have to get a pen
[pause where Mom tries to find a pen…she could have made one in the time it took her to find one]
Mom: Okay. What do I want?
Marcy: A venti
Mom: Spell that?
Marcy: Why – is there a test on this?
Mom: Don't get smart with me. I just asked for your help and now you are getting smart with me.

Marcy: Okay. Sorry. V-E-N-T-I White Chocolate non-fat Mocha.
Mom: Is that with skim milk?
Marcy: Yep – that's why you tell them non-fat.
Mom: Oh – you don't say skim?
Marcy: Nope – non-fat.
Mom: Oh, and of course, sugar free.
Marcy: Mom – the white chocolate is not sugar free.
Mom: What? Yes it is – I got it there before.

Marcy: Mom – they don't have white chocolate in sugar free. They only have caramel, vanilla, hazelnut, and cinnamon [note – this was before s/free mocha was added].
Mom: Are you sure?
Marcy: [pause] Yes.
Mom: Well I have to have sugar free. What about that hot caramel maraschino thing.
Marcy: You mean the Caramel Macchiato?
Mom: Yeah, how do you say that?
Marcy: Macchiato.
Mom: Yeah, that's sugar free because it has caramel right?
Marcy: Kinda. It would have the sugar free syrup but the caramel they add to it would have sugar.
Mom: That's silly. Well, I don't want sugar so what are my choices.
Marcy: You could get a latte in vanilla, hazelnut, cinnamon dulce, or caramel.
Mom: And a latte is just coffee with milk.
Marcy: It's expresso with milk – it's what I get.
Mom: Same thing – and I said I wanted it warm not cold.
Marcy: You can get it either way.
Mom: Which flavor should I get?
Marcy: I would recommend the caramel or the vanilla.
Mom: Not the hazelnut?
Marcy: I think it has a funky aftertaste.
Mom: What kind of aftertaste…maybe I'll like it.
Marcy: I don't know Mom. It just tastes funny.
Mom: Well, don't get mad at me, I was just asking.
Marcy: I'm not.
Mom: Okay so I want the caramel thing you were telling me about. How do I order that?

Marcy: Venti non-fat, sugar-free caramel latte [this was before skinny was used]

Mom: And if I am going through the drive thru, will they add the sweetener I need. Because you know I like my coffee sweet and need a lot of sweatner. Will they laugh at me for it?

Marcy: Mom, they are used to hearing weird stuff all the time. It's not a problem. How many sweeteners do you have them add?

Mom: You'll make fun of me.

Marcy: No. I won't. I promise.

Mom: 10 Splenda.

Marcy: [Silence]

Mom: I like it sweet, what can I say.

Marcy: [Silence]

Mom: Okay, so I get the venti non-fat, sugar free caramel latte with 10 splendas. Right? And they won't laugh?

Marcy: Oh they'll laugh alright but not to your face. Don't worry about it – just order what you want. Okay?

Mom: Okay. Thanks!

Marcy: Sure. Gotta run. Talk to you later.

Mom: Okay. Love you.

Marcy: I love you too.


[Phone is hung up. 1 minute later, phone rings again]


Marcy: Hi Dad.

Dad: Hi there. Do you have a minute.

Marcy: Sure. What's up?

Dad: Mom's going to Starbucks and offered to get me a drink but I don't know what to get. What would I like there?

Marcy: [Sigh]. Yeah, Mom called me and asked me the same thing.

Dad: [Laughing] Really? Well, you know I just never know what I like there.

Marcy: You like the double chocolate chip frappuccino blended crème.

Dad: [pausing] Could you call your Mom and tell her what to get me?

Marcy: Yes.

Dad: Thanks – I just can never remember what to get.

Marcy: Sure. Gotta run so I can call her.

Dad: Okay, thanks.

Marcy: Sure.


[Hang up phone. Dials.]


Mom: Hi honed. Did your dad get ahold of you?

Marcy: Yep, that's why I'm calling. Do you have a pen?

Mom: Somewhere here. I'm driving.

Marcy: Do you want to call me back when you are not?

Mom: No hold on. Okay.

Marcy: He'll take a venti double chocolate

Mom: Slow down!

Marcy: Okay, he'll take a venti … double … chocolate …. Chip …. Frappuccino.

Mom: A what?

Marcy: Frappuccino.

Mom: Is that the blended thing that tastes like ice cream?

Marcy: Yes.

Mom: Okay.

Marcy: I have to go.

Mom: Okay. Thanks.


When I asked later if they enjoyed their Starbucks, Mom indicated she was late leaving her meeting and was not able to go afterall. See – they need an age limit or a this is what to order card.

No comments: