Friday, February 29, 2008

leap day devotional

My Shepherd
Psalm 23

David M. Powers

Of all the well-known phrases of the well-loved 23rd Psalm, one word symbolizes what makes these verses so compelling. One word stands out. That word is, "my." "My shepherd."

The people of ancient Israel were very familiar with shepherds and shepherding in ways that most of us today are not. They had long thought of God as a shepherd. They remembered how God had guided their refugee ancestors cross-country from down in Egypt up to the Promised Land, much as a shepherd guides a flock of meandering sheep.

But with this Psalm of David comes a brand new discovery: an intimacy, an individuality, a personal connection with God the Shepherd. So the psalm-singer sings a new note. "The Lord is my Shepherd."

The rest of the Psalm vividly pictures what the Shepherd has to offer and what the Shepherd accomplishes for the sheep. The Shepherd does what the sheep may not be able to do on their own. The Shepherd nourishes, guides, restores, comforts, refreshes.

Even though I don't often think of myself as a sheep, I definitely need everything my Shepherd can do for me.

Prayer: Savior, like a shepherd lead us; much we need your tender care. Amen.

No comments: