Sunday, May 15, 2005

God Bless Mama Mary

8 years ago, I lost a very special woman, although at the time, I didn't realize how important of a person she would be to me. I only wish I would have had the opportunity to get to know and love her. She is my mother-in-law and she was tragically taken from the earth on May 13, 1997. I am attaching a poem that I wrote a few years back...

The One I Never Knew

We love the same man but in different ways.
You are the one I never knew.

You are the one who gave him his life
and I am the one who he now calls his wife.
You are the one I never knew.

Your days were numbered and your life ended too quickly.
Although he was hurt, he kept on going. Trying to be strong
when all he wanted was to have you back in his arms. He took care of his
sister and his grandparents too. But there was no one to take care of him.
You are the one I never knew.

I never met you before you had left.
But he tells me many stories that lead me to believe you were heaven sent.
I can only picture in my mind how great it would be
to have my mother-in-law alive to see.
They tell me all about the fun times you had, and even about the times that were sad.
I promise to take care of him, along with your daughter too. She is turned from a little girl to a beautiful woman, you should be proud, she looks just like you.

1 year after your death, he called me on the phone.
We talked and went to dinner and eventually we fell in love.
2 years after that tragic night,
he became my forever knight…
when he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.
After he asked, and I said yes…we noticed it had begun to rain.
However, we were not upset, just knew that you were sharing our happiness and that your tears was the cause to the rain.

From that time, we planned and planned the perfect day.
I had my mom to help me with the details, but your help and guidance too would have been the better way.
Soon, that wonderful day in September was here
A perfect day all sunny and clear.
The ceremony was beautiful and the roses were too.
The one problem was I put your rose in a vase and didn’t give it to you.

You are the one I never knew.

No comments: